क्या हैं Prepositions?
A preposition is an important part of the English language. It is used to show a relationship between the noun and pronoun in a sentence. A preposition must always be followed by a noun or pronoun in a sentence. It can never be followed by a verb.
Types of Preposition
1. Simple Prepositions : These prepositions are words like at, for, in, off, on, over, and under. These common prepositions can be used to describe a location, time or place. Example : He sat on the chair.; There is some milk in the fridge.
2. Double prepositions : These prepositions are two simple prepositions used together, often indicating direction. Some examples are into, upon, onto, out of, from within. Once upon a time, there was a beautiful princess.
The baby climbed onto the table.
3. Compound prepositions (or complex prepositions) : They consist of two or more words, usually a simple preposition and another word, to convey location. Some examples are in addition to, on behalf of, and in the middle of. Like
We were in the middle of the storm.
4. Participle Prepositions : These prepositions have endings such as -ed and -ing. Examples are words such as considering, during, concerning, provided. She is interested in anything concerning horses.
5. Phrase Prepositions (or prepositional phrases) : They include a preposition, an object, and the object's modifier. Examples include phrases like on time, at home, before class, and on the floor.
Example : I will get to the conference on time.